Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | TuneIn | Spotify |
Let’s say that you are a new seller on Amazon, and you have some past design experience. Or, maybe you’ve been on Amazon for a while and you are starting to tire of other sellers ripping off your products as soon as they start to make real money.
There is a point where those two stories intersect, and it has everything to do with today’s guest.
On this episode of the Serious Sellers Podcast, Helium 10’s Director of Training and Customer Success, Bradley Sutton speaks with Zack Leonard from Gembah, a company that specializes in product differentiation strategies and taking eCommerce concepts to market.
To begin with, why is it important to create a
new product? Or, for that matter, why is it necessary to even tinker with
a product’s design?
There are so many successful products out there, already selling thousands of units every single week. Couldn’t you simply use one of those and make it your own through a simple change of packaging?
To be honest, a lot of Amazon sellers do just that. But, in an increasingly competitive selling landscape, you might need to do more than differentiating your product by simply slapping a new label on it.
As time goes by, product innovation will become the difference between having a little success on Amazon and being able to scale your business to the point where it is a self-sustaining eCommerce career.
According to Zack, “The Amazon landscape has shifted.”
Now, with the internet reaching into almost every corner of the planet, we are living in an increasingly sophisticated eCommerce world filled with buyers who want products that aren’t just serviceable. They want cool. They want new. And they have come to understand the difference.
How are you going to satisfy their constant desire for the latest and greatest?
Innovation is how.
Zack says that what Gembah is trying to do is “democratize the creative process” and make a “quick-serve” model out of taking your product from concept to the market.
Sounds great to you? I bet you’re wondering about the expense.
While this might not have been the case even a few years ago, the 21st century’s exponential technological growth has resulted in a near-constant trickle-down of computer-aided design, 3D modeling, and printing.
Now, these advancements combine with small-batch manufacturing to allow almost anyone to be able to afford to innovate.
But, it’s still very important to have a strong relationship with the factory. Zack says that while “our designs will take you 90% of the way there, the factory will still have to do the last 10%”
That’s because the factory knows what they can actually do.
So, Amazon sellers, you know you’ve got some great ideas, and maybe what you’ve been doing has been working just fine.
However, there’s a lot of very creative people out there and Amazon is not standing still. Listen in to the podcast and find out how to level-up your product development skills.
Those untapped Amazon product ideas might be waiting for you, just under the surface.
In episode 62 of the Serious Sellers Podcast Bradley and Zack discuss:
- 00:38 – Bradley – “What’s Up with the Name Gembah?”
- 03:00 – Why it’s Important to Innovate
- 04:08 – The Amazon Landscape Has Shifted
- 04:40 – Democratizing the Creative Process
- 05:30 – What About Fears of the Expense?
- 06:50 – Using Helium 10 Tools to Find the Starting Point
- 07:50 – CAD Design and 3D Rendering – What’s the Expense Really?
- 09:12 – Gembah and Zack’s Shared Philosophy
- 10:12 – What are the Technological Prerequisites?
- 13:37 – Bradley Runs Through the Steps
- 15:40 – How to Find a Capable Factory
- 18:18 – OK, Sounds Great, How About the Costs?
- 19:06 – An Incremental Innovation Success Story
- 21:34 – The Difference Between this and Traditional Private Label Product Development
- 23:26 – Last Words of Wisdom
- 25:16 – How to Reach Out to Zack
Enjoy this episode? If you found this episode helpful, be sure to check out our previous episodes for more insights to become a successful Amazon FBA Seller! Don’t forget to “Like” our Facebook page and subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or on Google Play Music!
Want to absolutely start crushing it on Amazon and make more money? Follow these steps and access these other helpful resources to get started:
- Get the Ultimate Resource Guide from Manny Coats for tools and services that help successful Amazon sellers dominate on Amazon!
- New to Selling on Amazon? Freedom Ticket offers the best tips, tricks, and strategies for beginners just starting out! Sign up for Freedom Ticket.
- Trying to Find a New Product? Get the most powerful Amazon product research tool in Black Box, available only at Helium 10! Start researching with Black Box.
- Want to Verify Your Product Idea? Use Xray in our Chrome extension to validate how lucrative your next product idea can be with over a dozen metrics of data! Download the Helium 10 Chrome Extension.
- The Ultimate Software Tool Suite for Amazon Sellers! Get more affordable Helium 10 tools that can help you to optimize your listings and increase your sales! Sign up today! Don’t just take our word for it, see how our users rate Helium 10.
- Protect Your Amazon Brand with a Trademark! Protecting your brand from hijackers is vital. SellerTradmarks.com provides a streamlined process for obtaining a trademark for your business and shielding your products from fraud!
- Does Amazon Owe YOU Money? Find Out for FREE! If you have been selling on Amazon for a while, you may be owed money for lost or damaged inventory and not even know it. Get a FREE refund report to see how much you’re owed!
The Helium 10 Software Suite will allow you to gain an unfair advantage over your competitors as it was designed and battle-tested by Amazon's top sellers. So if you want more sales, more time, lower PPC costs, and if you want to discover hidden keywords your competitors don’t use then start using Helium 10 -- the same tools top Amazon sellers use on a daily basis.
Latest posts by Helium 10 (see all)