Podcast: Play in new window | Download
Subscribe: Apple Podcasts | Android | Google Podcasts | Stitcher | TuneIn | Spotify |
You’ve got a great idea for a private label
product to sell on Amazon and you know that you want to source it from
What’s your first step?
If you are Kian Golzari, the first thing you are going to do is crawl inside of it.
That is, if your product is a sleeping bag and you believe as he does that a product shouldn’t simply be a way to make money, it should first and foremost, offer great value.
In today’s episode of the Serious Sellers Podcast, Helium 10’s Director of Training and Customer Success, Bradley Sutton speaks with Kian Golzari, one of the world’s leading private label product development and sourcing experts who has personally sourced over 2,500 products for global brands such as Bed, Bath & Beyond, Tesco, Argos and Aldi.
Kian has won numerous international awards including the 2017 Sunday Times Fast Track Award for Top 100 UK Companies in Export Growth.
He was also awarded the 2012 Olympic Games contract to design, produce, and supply official merchandise.
But, let’s get back to Kian and his sleeping bag.
His father’s passion was camping and the outdoors so it was only natural that after college, Kian would, after joining his father’s company, find himself surrounded by both camping gear and tremendous opportunity.
He was given responsibility for sourcing and production and that’s where his particular combination of genius and determination helped him and the company reach new heights.
It’s not exactly a secret that China has been experiencing great change in the last decade. One of the largest has been in the exodus of the population away from the rural areas and into the cities.
In sourcing products in China, Kian was making that same exact trip, but in reverse. As more Chinese left their rural farm towns for the cities, it created a substantial difficulty for factories trying to find workers. Wages went up, but it still necessitated someone willing to delve deeper into the countryside in order to find those factories.
Kian refers to it himself as “being out in the middle of nowhere and coming up with ideas.”
One thing that he says that he has learned over the years is that the factory itself is one of the best places to develop products. Instead of sending emails and samples back and forth, having the ability to sit down with the sales staff or the factory boss and make changes then and there, is invaluable.
And, according to Kian, it has over the years saved him great amounts of both money and time.
He understands that not everyone can take a trip to China to start their Amazon selling career. Still, he says that after gaining a little traction, all sellers would benefit (and ultimately save money) from the huge upside of developing personal relationships with the “people” behind those sometimes-anonymous factories.
When it comes to the problem of unscrupulous sellers or factories copying his ideas; he’s got an answer for that as well.
Kian says that “relationships and genuine friendships with factories is his first line of defense.” As far as other sellers go, he’s too busy innovating to worry much about them.
Listen in and find out more about Kian as well as great tips on visas and product testing on the podcast.
In episode 61 of the Serious Sellers Podcast, Bradley and Kian discuss:
- 02:05 – How Does Someone Born in Scotland End Up Living in Shanghai?
- 02:50 – Coming Up with New Ideas Out in the Middle of Nowhere
- 03:37 – The Best Place to Create New Products is in the Factory
- 05:05 – Sourcing in the Heart of the Rural Country
- 07:40 – Alibaba is a Great Starting Point, but . . .
- 10:28 – Making His Own Niche by Creating the Best Product
- 12:00 – The First Step of Marketing is Product Development
- 12:39 – A Background in B to B Sales Makes Product Development Convincing
- 13:16 – A Rucksack Throws Bradley for a Loop
- 15:00 – Giving your Customer What They Want Doesn’t Have to be Expensive
- 15:25 – If I’m Developing a Sleeping Bag, I’m Spending the Night in It
- 19:08 – Straight-Forward Chinese Visa Tips
- 21:30 – Avoiding Common Chinese Sourcing Mistakes
- 22:42 – Chinese Manufacturers Love Volume
- 23:00 – Don’t Neglect Your Product Testing
- 25:10 – Product Testing 101
- 27:20 – Protecting Yourself and Your Product
- 31:35 – As Long as You Keep Innovating, You’ll Stay Ahead of the Curve
- 32:35 – How to Contact Kian
Enjoy this episode? If you found this episode helpful, be sure to check out our previous episodes for more insights to become a successful Amazon FBA Seller! Don’t forget to “Like” our Facebook page and subscribe to the podcast on iTunes or on Google Play Music!
Want to absolutely start crushing it on Amazon and make more money? Follow these steps and access these other helpful resources to get started:
- Get the Ultimate Resource Guide from Manny Coats for tools and services that help successful Amazon sellers dominate on Amazon!
- New to Selling on Amazon? Freedom Ticket offers the best tips, tricks, and strategies for beginners just starting out! Sign up for Freedom Ticket.
- Trying to Find a New Product? Get the most powerful Amazon product research tool in Black Box, available only at Helium 10! Start researching with Black Box.
- Want to Verify Your Product Idea? Use Xray in our Chrome extension to validate how lucrative your next product idea can be with over a dozen metrics of data! Download the Helium 10 Chrome Extension.
- The Ultimate Software Tool Suite for Amazon Sellers! Get more affordable Helium 10 tools that can help you to optimize your listings and increase your sales! Sign up today! Don’t just take our word for it, see how our users rate Helium 10.
- Protect Your Amazon Brand with a Trademark! Protecting your brand from hijackers is vital. SellerTradmarks.com provides a streamlined process for obtaining a trademark for your business and shielding your products from fraud!
- Does Amazon Owe YOU Money? Find Out for FREE! If you have been selling on Amazon for a while, you may be owed money for lost or damaged inventory and not even know it. Get a FREE refund report to see how much you’re owed!
The Helium 10 Software Suite will allow you to gain an unfair advantage over your competitors as it was designed and battle-tested by Amazon's top sellers. So if you want more sales, more time, lower PPC costs, and if you want to discover hidden keywords your competitors don’t use then start using Helium 10 -- the same tools top Amazon sellers use on a daily basis.
Latest posts by Helium 10 (see all)